The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers can trace its history to the 1600s, with its earliest antecedants being the 5th and 6th Foot.
In 1685, James II was so shaken by the Monmouth Rebellion that he called for a regiment of fusiliers to be raised, so named because they were to be armed with the snap-hance musket, which was the same as the French fusil. They were the Royal Fusiliers, later to become the 7th Foot. Later William of Orange raised the 20th Foot at Exeter,
These four regiments of foot, the 5th, 6th, 7th and 20th, the forerunners of the fusiliers, carried on until the early 1800s when the 5th, already associated with Northumberland, were made fusiliers. The 6th, associated with Warwickshire, became a Royal regiment in 1832 and the 20th were renamed Lancashire
Fusiliers in 1881.
In 1958, the 5th Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, the 7th Royal Fusiliers and XX The
The Fusilier is published annually in December
Lancashire Fusiliers formed the Fusilier Brigade. In 1963 they were joined by the 6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
And in 1968 the four were amalgamated to form the regiment we know today as the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.